Sunday, September 16, 2012

New Babies

Today I bought 11 baby egg chicks.  I got them at the feed store, and they were more expensive than if I had ordered them through the hatchery, but totally worth it as they all have their big chick feathers.  So, I saved on chick starter and a heat lamp and the stink of keeping them in the garage.  They are out in the yard in the coop that Kirk built, and I am a little worried that something might get into the coop through some small spaces around the bottom of the coop where it doesn't quite touch the ground.  I did put stuff around the spaces to hopefully keep any predators out.  Could be worse--the guy at the feed store was telling me he lost almost his entire flock of chickens to a black bear!  He said the bear ripped off the doors, and he had chicken parts strewn about.  I just can't even imagine.  He told me there are several black bears that are around, and they are not shy about ripping off doors and destroying anything that might have food that is outside, even in a garage.  They have no trash service, and must take their trash to a dump 10 miles away.  I think I'll stick where the black bears aren't.

The baby chicks that I got are all black, with the exception of one lone barred rock.  The rest are sex-linked and black australorp.

They really didn't like the camera.  Or maybe it was just me?

Can you spot the one that isn't like the others?



No comments:

Post a Comment